Click here to discover more easy and delicious recipes!
Who in this world does not love chocolate? I have not met any for now. Let me know in the comments section if I am mistaken
For chocolate lovers like me, I have an incredible recipe for you today: a hot chocolate, OMG chocolate in a drink. YES!
And you know what, it is totally vegan, simple, so tasty, and most important, can be prepared in 5 minutes. Isn’t it just the most perfect drink for these cold days?
Hot chocolate: a bit of history
As you can imagine now, I am a fan of this drink, and I have discovered that the history of it is even more fascinating than its taste.
It is said that hot cocoa drink has been invented by the Mayas. It was spicier and more bitter than what we have today.
In South America, traditional hot chocolate used to be sweet and often sprinkled with cheese.
Hot chocolate quickly conquered Europeans. Everyone, especially the aristocracy, loved it. Thus It became rapidly their preferred drink.
With such a reputation, hot chocolate was nicknamed the “Drink of the Gods“
Easy Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 50 cl Unsweetened almond milk (Or any milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup black chocolate (> 52% cocoa, add more or less based on the thickness desired)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tea spoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Add the milk to a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Add cocoa powder and sugar and keep whisking until the ingredients are well combined.
- When the mix is warm enough, add the chocolate chunks, vanilla extract, and salt and whisk away until it becomes perfectly homogeneous.
- It is optional, but I do recommend it: For creamy perfection, I usually blend the mixture using a hand blender. Besides making the hot chocolate creamy, It also creates a foam on top of the hot chocolate mugs. I do personally like it.
Secrects of a great hot chocolate
Here are some of my secrets for a perfect hot cocoa or chocolate drink:
- Mixing it using a hand blender is a great idea I have tried. It helps make the mixture perfectly combined as it creates a lovely foam when you pour it into the mugs.
- One of the secrets of this recipe is adding salt with chocolate. It helps emphasize the flavor of chocolate and pops out an incredible taste.
For more thickness of your hot chocolate, you can add some coconut cream or any dairy cream. I prefer not to use it.
Serve your vegan hot chocolate!
First, make sure to serve your hot chocolate warm. Top it with anything of choice: coconut whipped cream or marshmallow.
In this recipe, I kept it simple by sprinkling just some cocoa powder on top of the foam. I love the bitterness kick it adds ❤️
Enjoy my dears!
More easy recipes
If you love easy and tasty Moroccan and Meditarian food and you are looking for new recipes, consider trying the following ideas: