Click here to pin this chocolate crepes recipe for later.
Chocolate crepes are an easy, perfect dish you can have for any meal of the day. There are sweet and savory crêpes. Both can be made the same way.
In this guide, I will show you how to make an easy step by step sweet vanilla and chocolate crepes.
Click here to discover more easy and delicious dessert recipes.
What are crepes?
Crepes or Crêpes in French are very thin pancakes made usually with wheat flour, milk, and eggs. They are a very popular dish in France since they serve it on the Day of Crêpes, also know as La Chandeleur. This holiday is celebrated every second day of February.
On this day, most people from all over France, make crepes for dinner. The celebration of this day is associated with the crepes because it is believed that crêpes look like the sun which symbolize light and prosperity.
They are also a symbol of Spring, a reminder that the cold winter will be over.
There are many stories about eating the crêpes on that exact day. Whatever the real story of the crepes is, people keep making them all over the world, just because they are heavenly delicious
Prepare a delicious Vanilla and chocolate crepes
Crepes have a traveling soul. You can find them all over the world with small variations in the ingredients and the names: The Mexican Tortilla, the Russian Blini, the American pancake, or even the Moroccan Baghrir.
VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE CREPES
For the crêpes, you will need:
- 2 eggs
- 350 ml almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar more or less based on your preferences
- 180 g flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate 52% or higher
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (I prefer 12% fat)
- 1 tspn brown sugar (Optional)
For the topping
- Red fruits: strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries
- Chocolate chips
- Mint leaves for decoration
Prepare the crêpes
- In a large mixing bowl, put the eggs, sugar, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well until the preparation is homogenous.Then start adding the flour gradually while mixing using a spatula or a blender.Add a pinch of salt and mix well until all the ingredients are combined.Don
- Don’t be surprised if the dough is a bit runny. This is one of the secrets of having fluffy crepes. Cover the bowl using a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight or at least for one hour.
- When the mixture is ready, start cooking your crepes. Slightly brush a non-stick pan with a bit of coconut oil and put it over medium heat.
- For each crepe, pour 1/4 cup of the mixture in the center of the pan, then tilt it quickly around all sides until the bottom of the pan is completely covered. Bake each crepe around 1 min on the first side, then when the edge starts to brown flip it to the other side and bake it for about 30 seconds or until cooked through.
- I do recommend placing the cooked crepes on a plate and cover them using a clean kitchen towel. This helps to keep them warm and soft.When all the crêpes are cooked, you can prepare the sauce you will use for filling. In this recipe, I have used a homemade black chocolate sauce.
- Boil the cream in a small saucepan, you can also mix the cream with milk.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces using a knife and put it in a bowl.
- Pour the boiling cream progressively over the chocolate, mixing well between each addition. Mix well until the chocolate is completely melted.
- If you like the sauce to be thicker, consider reheating the preparation over low heat while whisking, until you get the texture you do like
Dress up your chocolate crepes!
There are many ways we can use to dress up crêpes. I do prefer rolled crepes as it makes the filling more visible and pretty to look at
If this matters for you and you would like to serve it the same way I did, you will have to do the following steps:
- Place the crêpe with the beautiful side facing down.
- Take one edge and fold it over the other half the crêpe.
- Spoon the chocolate filling on top of the folded crêpe.
- Roll the crêpe smoothly in the direction of the length until it becomes like a spring roll.
When all the chocolate crêpes are rolled, place them in the serving dish, then sprinkle some red fruits, chocolate chips, or anything you do prefer on top of them.
You can add also some mint leaves or flowers for decoration.
Enjoy my dears!
Crêpes are such an easy dessert that we can prepare at any time. We can customize the flavorings and the colors as well, based on our mood and preferences. I hope you have enjoyed this chocolate crepes recipe.
Do you love EASY desserts recipes
If you love desserts and you are looking for new easy recipes, consider trying the following ideas: