Click here to save this HOMEMADE Bolognese sauce recipe for later.
Bolognese sauce is one of the most famous sauces all over the world. Indeed, it is useful in many recipes, notably Italian pasta dishes.
The recipe is not as basic as you might think. It requires a long time to be ready and also more ingredients than what you might consider.
This guide will help you prepare a memorable homemade bolognese sauce.
More sauces recipes can be found here!
Secrets for an unforgettable Bolognese sauce
Everyone has their own favorite recipe to make the best of bolognese sauce. I will let you discover the secrets that will make difference in your next preparation!
- Butter: It might be surprising, but the in original bolognese recipe, we do cook the ingredients only using butter. I mix both butter and olive oil for a good taste.
- There is no successful bolognese sauce without carrots, onion , and celeri. These are the first ingredients you need to stir in a mix of butter and olive oil until golden and soft. Then you can add the remaining ingredients one by one.
- Milk or cream: This might seem weird, but trust me, this will add a good smoothnes to your sauce. It help also reduces the acidity of tomatoes.
- The last and the most important secret for me to prepare an unforgettable bolognese sauce, is long and gentle cooking. The longer you cook it over low heat, the best the taste will be.
Prepare the best homemade Bolognese sauce
For this lasagna recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 250g grounded beef
- 2 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 tomatoes or one cane of tomato pulpe
- 1 red onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 leaves of basil (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Spices: salt, pepper
- A bit of Safran (optional)
- milk or cream
Dice finely the onion, carrots and celery (you can also grate carrots).
In a pan, over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil, then add the diced ingredients.
When these ingredients start to brown, add the beef and keep stiring until they are tender. Crumble the pieces continuously using a wooden spoon.
Add salt and pepper based on your preferences. You can add also safran, it will add a very nice flavor.
Let the mix brown then pour tomato pulp, milk and water. Mix well, add basil leaves and simmer over low heat for two hours.
In the classic bolognese recipe, we use bay leaves. I have tried bolognese with both bay and basil leaves. I do really love it with basil flavor
Here is the result. Look how yummy it is
What make a bolognese sauce successful, can be also the dish you choose to accompany it. In general, it is very versatile, we can use this sauce with all pasta types: Tagliatelle, spaghetti or even farfale or penne.
I prefer to use it to prepare bolognese lasagna. If this is something you are interested about, consider checking out this classic Bolognese Lasagna recipe.
Do you love ITALIAN recipes
If you are an Italian cuisine lover like me, I have prepared many Italian dishes. Consider trying the following recipes: